Sunday, May 8, 2011

My First DIY

I officially finished my first DIY project for the wedding...behold...the CARD BOX!


I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  It was kind of a pain to make, and I think I burned myself with the hot glue gun enough to not want to use it again for a long, long, time - but in the end, worth the time and effort! All in all, I would estimate I spent about 10 hours making this.  Lots of cursing, but no tears - though I do think I threatened to throw it out the window at one point.  I purchased a set of three boxes from Ikea, fabric from JoAnn Fabrics, and some more glue sticks from Michael's (lucky me, I already owned the glue gun!).  My costs were about $45 in total, mainly because I chose the more expensive fabric as I liked the design (and the dark colors hide my mistakes!).  I'm going to add a little sign on the top that indicates (1) this is a card box and (2) thanks guests for joining us for our day.  I may also still add a ribbon to make the second layer stand out - but all in all, I'm happy with the end result!!

The box in test mode:


And SUCCESS!!! 

p.s. this project reminded me that I am NOT A CRAFTY person.  By any measure.  But I may still try to do other things...we'll see!!