Friday, September 16, 2011

To Receive or Not To Receive...


One tradition that the Groom and I have not been in agreement on is on whether to have a receiving line.  He wants to do it post-ceremony before the reception, and I do not want to do one at all.  His rationale is that this way we’ll personally greet each and every person at our wedding, and it will be taken care of right after we’re married.  I do agree with his thought, but think we don’t really need to do the receiving line.  After all, at most our wedding will have 120 guests – won’t we have time during the 4 hour reception to say hi and get hugs from each person? I’ve had friends accomplish their meeting and greeting during their reception while everyone is still eating, which frees them up to dance the night away.  




I can’t actually remember the last wedding I was at that had a receiving line, though I know I’ve gone through them before and certainly participated in them before as a bridesmaid.  Therein lies the WORST part of receiving lines – if you make your bridal party do it too! “Congrats bride! Congrats groom! Um, don’t know you…nice dress?”  I’m also concerned that we only have about an hour to get pictures done after the wedding, and we’re going to want every minute of that hour!


Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about receiving lines:


“Technically, to be a reception, instead of some other form of entertainment, guests must be greeted with a receiving line. In a receiving line, the wedding party, including the bridal couple, their parents, and any honor attendants, stand in order of precedence and greet every guest in turn. Each guest greets the first (lowest precedence) person in the line and, if necessary, introduces himself. The first person then introduces the guest to the next person in the line, and turns to the next guest. As each guest properly speaks little more than his name (if necessary) and conventional greetings or congratulations to each person in turn, the line progresses steadily without unnecessary delays.”


Unfortunately I see the whole exercise as an unnecessary delay, but we’ll discuss it further if the Groom decides he REALLY wants it.  


Where do you stand on receiving lines? Yay or nay?

3 comments:

  1. I'm completely in the same boat as you. I see the both side of doing it and not doing it, but we haven't really talked about it. However, I have seen many people do the rounds during dinner and I have to say... enjoy to food you are paying for. When you are talking your guest, their food can get cold and you just go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't want to do the receiving line but my parents wanted me to but as you know we didn't end up doing it. I kind of wish we had done it because we did not make it around to all of the tables but if we had it would have been just P and I and our parents. No other bridal party members.

    We ended up with 119 people and its harder than you think because people leave early and you have to eat and they are eating. Also, you want to be able to talk to everyone which makes it kind of difficult. Just something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did a receiving line, for the same reason your husband wants to do it. It took the pressure off of having to say hi to everyone at the party.

    If your fiance realllly does want it that badly, I don't think it would be the worst thing to give in to for him...UNLESS it honestly, truly, would cut into your prime picture taking taking time...because an hour is about the minimum amount of time you'd want for pictures.

    ReplyDelete