Sunday, December 4, 2011

Veils

Just so you know, I spent a good 10 or 15 minutes trying to think of a pun that could provide me with a better post title than simply “veils.”  As you can see, I was unsuccessful – better luck next time, huh?
 


I have to admit that I wasn’t sure I would wear a veil when I first started thinking about my wedding day look.  I was all in for the big white dress, but veils seemed old-fashioned, or just not my style.  Plus, I was already thinking I wanted something sparkly on my head, and wondered if a veil would detract from that.  I talked to my friend Maggie about it, as she just got married this past February.  Her response? When else do you get to wear a veil? Why not just go for it?


And she’s right! And once I started trying on dresses and putting on veils, I realized I didn’t only want a veil, I NEEDED a veil! Though preferably not one of the $300+ ones for sale at the salon where I bought my dress.  Maggie generously offered to loan me hers as she also wore an ivory dress, but I figured I would also keep my eyes open for other options (aka sales!).  Just like trying out different shoes with the wedding dress, I figure it can’t hurt to try out different veils!

Maggie’s veil is fingertip length, and from trying on dresses I knew that was the length I wanted – it’s just long enough to be elegant, but not so long that I’ll worry about tripping on it (I’m looking at you, cathedral length!)  And congrats to Maggie for making the blog!
 
                                         And congrats to her husband Paul's back! 

Here are some of the other styles that I’ve gravitated towards:




And then, because I’ve signed up for any and every bridal site, I got an email from Rue La La for one of their bridal boutiques! And wouldn’t you know I found this - a beaded floral fingertip length ivory veil, for $49! SOLD! 




There are small accents on the blusher (which I think is what you call the part that goes over your face) that hit just above the bust.

Can I even tell you how much respect I have for people who are able to photograph veils well? I am strictly an amateur photographer, but I could not figure out how best to capture this veil in photos to save my life.  So I plan on taking both veils to my fittings and seeing which one I like better with my dress.  I can't WAIT! 


Are you a veil kind of bride? What kind of veils do you like?

3 comments:

  1. I knew I wanted a veil, but I knew I didn't want anything ridiculous. I wanted something simple. I found mine on Etsy and she actually did a little bit of custom stuff to mine and it was only $63 or so. It sounds like you got a great deal on one though! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like you was not sure if I wanted to wear a veil either, I was just going to do a flower in my hair. But my sister who just got married said she really felt like a bride once she put the veil on and I don't want to miss out on that feeling. I have yet to buy one though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the detail on your veil! I am totally a veil bride, I'm really excited to buy one (haven't yet). I'm thinking of doing something really poufy, with a blusher- I'm old fashioned!

    ReplyDelete