Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Work in Progress: the Invites!

When I first started planning the wedding and discovered sites like Weddingbee, I was absolutely in love with some of the calligraphy styles I found online.  I started thinking about how I was going to learn a style like that, dang it, and replicate it for our invitations!!






And then a whole lot of time went by, and I didn't try to learn anything (other than some half-hearted searches on Amazon for calligraphy books, along with some Googling locally on learning calligraphy - those classes are NOT cheap!).  And now it's January, and time to start addressing invites!! Eek! Well, I figured, I have nice enough handwriting - it's just a matter of finding the right marker or pen! I started out using the calligraphy markers I already had (I bought these with a calligraphy book that I think I've opened once), and just wrote in nice cursive.  And I discovered that the markers were WAY too thick, even though the one was only 2.0 mm, and even labeled "fine."


 From top to bottom: the 2.5 mm "medium" marker; the 2.0 mm"fine" marker, the 1.3 mm "medium" nib; the 0.8 "fine" nib.


You know what that means! A trip to the local craft store (with my 50% off one item coupon, of course! Never, EVER head to your local AC Moore or Michael's without a COUPON!).  I  ended up purchasing the Shaeaffer Classic Calligraphy Mini Kit, which has three nibs (fine, medium and broad), along with the Viewpoint pen, and 4 different color ink cartridges.  I also bought a 5-pack of black ink cartridges so I would have plenty of ink.






Needless to say, the pen makes all the difference - I love how these turned out!! (Another key tip: lightly draw pencil lines using a ruler on the envelope before addressing the envelope - this will keep each line relatively the same size, and nice and straight on the envelope!)


You can see the faint pencil lines - even better, once the ink dries, 
it doesn't smudge when you erase the pencil lines.

Not the actual invite envelope...I'm still not done yet!


If we'd thought about our envelopes ahead of time, I might have just run them through our printer! (but sadly, they are too thick!)

Did you try your hand at calligraphy, or leave enough money in your budget to hire a calligrapher? 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so good! I wouldn't dare write on my envelopes. ::shakes head::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! It looks really good. I kind of did the same thing as you did..half-heartedly tried to learn calligraphy. It's so hard to make it look like the ones in the picture. You did a good job though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a really good job on this. I am way too lazy to do this lol. I designed all of my paper products and printed at home...I just used a pretty font on my computer and ran my envelopes through. Just as pretty without the time and effort.

    ReplyDelete