Friday, February 10, 2012

And I Now Pronounce You...

As I may have mentioned previously, the Groom and I are getting married at a church in a non-denominational ceremony.  While both of us grew up Catholic, we decided together than a non-denominational ceremony would work best for celebrating our marriage.  We had the opportunity to sit down with our officiant, and have him get to know us and vice versa.  We had a great discussion with him, and he even threw in a bit of premarital counseling for us! After meeting with him, I know we've made the right choice to have him marry us.

roberthill_sermonoct042009_a_sm

Our ceremony will work in a similar way to most weddings – the usual processional, followed by welcome and greeting from the Dean.  We’ll then have a reading or two, a brief homily, exchange of vows, exchange of rings, and so on.  But this brings me to a BIG question – what readings should we do? The Groom has expressed an interest that our wedding not be so “cookie cutter,” but I pointed out that most wedding readings come from the Bible, and there’s really only so many to choose from!

Aww.  Book pages shaped like a heart!

Readings we have already voted down:
  • Love is patient, love is kind (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a) Why? Because I’ve heard it at just about every single wedding I've ever attended.
  • My Beloved is like a gazelle (Song of Songs) – because it makes me giggle.  I don’t know whose wedding featured this reading, all I remember is at the rehearsal giggling madly over the gazelle line.
We can also choose from poems and other secular material – but I don’t think I’m going to stray too far from the traditional material.  What are your favorite readings at weddings? Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment