Monday, October 15, 2012

Cleaning up my office, with a little DIY

I am proud to say I've crossed a GIANT to-do off my home improvement list...finally setting up my office!! Yay!! While I couldn't find any good pictures of what my office originally looked like when I first moved in with Gene, I can tell you that it turned into the dumping ground for furniture from my apartment that we didn't really have a place for on the first floor of our house (our house is pretty small - three bed/one bath, but two of the "bedrooms" are upstairs and are tiny - so we appropriated them for our offices).

Into my office went a small bookshelf, my futon, and my TV.  I eventually sold my bookshelf and futon, but no one wanted my TV, even for free!! My parents upgraded me from my 13 inch TV in 2003 as a grad school graduation present, but unfortunately everyone has flat screen, flat panel TVs today - and my 2003 TV had a flat screen, but a giant back and probably weighed 150 pounds.  After discovering that the city would come pick up my TV if I simply filled out an online request form - bye bye to my old TV!

Here is what I started with in my office - a decent amount of space, just no organization and lots of junk left over from the wedding!

The right wall.  You can see how the sloping ceilings pose a challenge to buying furniture - you can't have anything too tall, or it won't fit.

The back wall with the windows.  I love my snazzy accent walls, even if they were a huge pain to do.


The corner of shame...my desk and stuff dumped everywhere.  The small door goes into our attic space, which is huge!

A big apology to my books, stored in sad piles!

Once I bought a new long (in width) and short (in height) bookcase, I knew my storage problems would be solved! And I was right.  However, the bookcase I bought came in a light unfinished pine wood, and I knew I wanted to stain it darker.  The process was surprisingly easy!

The bookcase as I bought it.  I lightly sanded it, and then wiped away the dust with a tack cloth.  I was ready to apply some stain!  

After the first coat of stain.  I just followed the instructions and applied the stain with a cloth, and then wiped away any excess.  I did two coats, and it took me about a half hour to apply each coat.  I then sealed the bookcase with clear polyurethane that I applied with a paintbrush.  Letting the stain and polyurethane dry was probably the longest part of this project - I started it Monday, finished it on Wednesday, and moved it to my office on Thursday.

And...the bookcase in action! I love how it came out to be the same color as our floors!! Totally unintentional, but I really like it.  Also, I need to look for a reading lamp to put by my chair!


Check out that tidy desk!


I'm so glad I finally got my office in order!! Yay!! This was one project that I was dreading, but am so happy I finally got it done.   Did you cross any big projects off your list this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks awesome!! Also makes me want to get more organized. We are in the process of moving and all the disorganization is making my OCD go crazy!

    ReplyDelete