Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What I'm Reading

As I've mentioned before, I'm a BIG reader.  When your commute on public transportation is just over an hour, that gives you almost two hours a day to read! Plus, I have to read before I go to bed, as that's my wind-down and relaxation time! So here's what I've been reading lately:

Right now, I'm re-reading Life of Pi, by Yann Martel.  I unearthed my copy in my office reorganization this past weekend! This book is coming out as a movie which makes me very curious - how do you make a movie from a book that is about a boy sharing a lifeboat with a tiger? The previews I've seen so far show that at the least, the movie will be visually stunning!

The Woman Who Wasn't There, Robin Gaby Fisher.  My friend Ali recommended this book to me and WOW, was it excellent!! This is the true story of a woman who pretended to be in the World Trade Center towers on September 11 - how she got people to believe her incredible story, her involvement with a survivor's network, and how she was ultimately discovered to be a fraud.  Really excellent writing and such an engaging story!

Not to be on a sad or depressing note, but another great book kind of about 9/11 is The Submission, by Amy Waldman.  This novel is about a jury tasked with selecting the memorial design for the World Trade Center, and what happens when the winning architect turns out to be a Muslim. 

The Next Best Thing, by Jennifer Weiner.  I feel like her books are hit or miss for me - while I loved In Her Shoes, I absolutely hated her first novel, Good in Bed.  This was an enjoyable quick read for me - I really liked the perspective of the main character as a sitcom writer in Hollywood.

These Girls, by Sarah Pekkaanen.  This book is your typical chick-lit fare which I usually really enjoy, however, this book? Had two of the most annoying characters I've read in a long time!! I'll still give Sarah's two other books a shot, but I can't recommend this one unless you like stories about one grounded woman living with 2 whiny roommates in NYC.

Top of the Rock, by Warren Littlefield.  As someone who loves watching TV, I also love reading about how some of my favorite shows are made! This is a great book with tons of interviews that talks about Frasier, Friends, ER, Mad About You, Cheers, and more.  Reading this book reminded me of how good ER was back when it started - time to add it to my Netflix!

Girl Walks into a Bar, by Rachel Dratch.  After reading Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling's books, I also read Rachel's.  To be honest I'd kind of wondered what happened to Debbie Downer after she left SNL, and it was fun to read what she's been up to - and her writing is just as funny as ever.  I have to say of the three books, I probably related most to Mindy Kaling! You should definitely read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me too!!

Have you read any good books lately? I'm always looking for recommendations!!


2 comments:

  1. I have a copy of life of Pi and have never read it..but I did see the preview for the movie...I must read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh these are great suggestions..i def. want to read minday kalig's book. I just read Sea Change and it was pretty bad but I'm about to start gone girl!

    ReplyDelete